Monday 4 May 2009

Summer Couscous Salad

A while ago I was scouting for halloumi recipes - I always do the same thing with it, and a friend that lives in Cyprus gave me this recipe. I have made it a couple of times before, each time with great success. Jack is a bit of a meaty-man, but it's good enough for him for dinner without any meat accompaniments!

(Serves 4)

Ingredients
For the Dressing

1. Tip the couscous into a bowl, pour the boiling stock over and mix well with a fork. Cover with a plate and leave for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, tip all the dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Fluff up the couscous with a fork, stir in the chickpeas and follow with half the dressing. Mix well and pile on to a large serving dish.

2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and fry the courgette slices over a high heat for 2-3 minutes until dark golden brown. Lift out on to kitchen paper. Now put the tomatoes cut-side down into the pan, and cook for another couple of minutes until tinged brown on the underside. Top the couscous with the courgettes and then the tomatoes.

3. If the pan is dry, pour in a little more oil and heat it up, then add the halloumi strips and fry for 2-3 minutes, turning them over from time to time, until crisp and sizzled brown. Pile on top of the tomatoes, and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Serve as soon as possible.




I make it without chickpeas as I really don't like them. Humous is fine, chickpeas just ming! I think it stems back to when I was on a diet that chickpeas were 'unlimited' on, so I made a cake out of them. Errrrrrgh. It's still gorgeous without them, I don't feel I'm missing anything from the dish.

I have seen on the BBC site that people have left comments saying they have added harissa to the dressing, and have added green beans to the salad - I think both sound lovely and I will try them over the summer.

This dish is great as a salad for BBQs, or as a main course in it's own right. It even makes me wish I was working tomorrow so I could take the leftovers as a packed lunch... twisted right?! Be warned - it's VERY garlicy. VERY delicious too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment